Monday, February 18, 2008

3 a.m. in the garden of good and evil...











Though it requires a little effort on my part, a post is needed in this space. I've just returned from a trip to Savannah, Ga. that included some of the notorious names associated with this site and others. Here are a few thoughts regarding the trip....and then other less...relevant thoughts:
1. The City. I usually refer to Savannah as....Charleston with a significant crime rate. Yet, if one doesn't venture out of the Historic District, it's nothing of the sort. In fact, that part of town is clean,vibrant, and festive. Of course, it didn't hurt that we had sunny skies and 70 degree weather. In all, I was impressed. As Simply Reg might say....you do have to look out for the occasional DB...but they can be avoided.....Just don't go to any pub with an overtly Irish name or a picture of one of our founding fathers on the sign....which leads me to...
2. The Nightlife. We really didn't go out of our way to 'experience' everything Savannah could offer. Meaning, there was a time when I would've wanted to do a serious pub crawl...we're talking 6 or 7 pubs in a night. Now, though, I find it preferable to go to a couple of places....and find one place in which to settle...have a few drinks...a few decent conversations...and make a few good memories. That's pretty much how this trip went. A few suggestions.....1. Have dinner on the river. 2. Don't be afraid to meet some folks...locals or visitors... and 3. Take some money.
3. The People. Savannah is home to SCAD, and therefore, has an edgy feel to it. In that, the city is strange anyway...what with the ghosts, voo-doo, cemeteries, etc....but the art students add that certain....I don't know....I'm un-washed and hip feel. It's like an entire cultural subset of Jim Morrison and Amy Winehouse wannabees. This said, most everyone is pretty friendly....and there are lots of incredibly nice looking women. I have to say though.....a trip is only as good as your travel companions. In this case, Spydrz, Micah(the arist formerly known as Jmblya), Simply Reg, Dr. Zeius(I refuse to acknowledge that change), and a couple of Dr. Z's child-hood friends.....all descended on the fair city for a time of frivolity, conviviality, and revelry. I had a blast fellas. Let's do it again soon....
Other random thoughts:
1. If I have to hear that One Republic song again....and I don't even listen to the radio....but if I do...
2. The game of darts is one fantastic thing.
3. Can Mike Hampton stay healthy....please baseball gods....say it is so...
4. Iran has again announced the imminent destruction of Israel. Is anyone listening....?
5. Steven Speilberg refuses to work with the Chinese during the Olympics because of Human riights violations.....but dines and reclines with likes of Chavez and Castro? Really...?
6. If you haven't listened to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue recently....do it soon. You will thank me.

1 comment:

Micah said...

And I say, if you haven't listened to Eiffel 65's "I'm Blue (Da Boo Dee Da Boo Doo Da Boo Dee Doo)" lately, do so. It'll change your life.