Sunday, May 13, 2007

State of my union.

So, I've been absent lately...maybe even neglectful...but with good reason. In all aspects of my life...my life is about to change. The following thoughts are thoughts that give a brief explanation of me...at this point:

1. O.k. I've been offered a position with a large financial institution...though, we are still in contractual negotiations. This said, I'll be moving home sooner than later...and I'm excited. For those who don't know, I've not lived 'at home' for close to 15 years...and it is time. I don't think I'll settle there, but I do believe that it is time to go home for a while...be close to family...be close to those who matter most. I've spent the better part of my life exploring...and now it seems that it is time to go back.

2. I can't get enough of the current Tracy Lawrence song. It is a country song...so those opposed are warned. If I had the talent to write a song...any song...I would write a song about my friends and family...and it would be similar...though, it probably would have a bit more horn...a bit more crooning...and a little less...well, you get the idea. Anyway, it gives a good sentiment. Also, one of my brothers just completed an album...and it's really good. Talent...when not owned...is very impressive. Congrats...Spanky.


3. I can't think of anything better than how I spent my Sunday. Well...maybe. But today was incredible. Nascar....a Braves game on t.v....and the last round of the TPC. Granted, 2 of the 3 didn't go 'my way'...but all were entertaining...and deserved attention. Phat Phil won...and makes this U.S Open even more interesting.

4. I went with some friends this past Friday and saw a band called Carbon Leaf. They are truly a good band..and I suggest checking them out. Which leads me to...

5. Can I just say that I truly love women. Now...they are maddening, infuriating, confusing, and discombobulating...but they are also...caring, nurturing, emotive, and quite frankly....aesthetically... absolutely beautiful. They look good...smell good...and well, again...anyway, women are a true blessing....a complicated blessing...but, a blessing nonetheless.

6. Sports. The Braves are doing well. Lefty is poised to make a run at Tiger. The college football blogs are heating up. Here are a couple of related thoughts:

I. The Braves. I truly believe that this could be a special team. One that does something really impressive...they just seem to have that intangible 'will to win' thing going on...well, not yesterday...but in general.

II. Golf. What is there to say...but that it is one of the greatest things on earth. Playing it, watching it, living it...the whole thing...On tour, Mickelson left some shots out on the course, but won the TPC yesterday...stoking the flames of desire for a hot and relevant rivalry with Tiger.

III. Nascar. Gordon won yesterday...giving him his third win this year...and moving him closer to an 8th championship....let me say that again...an 8th season championship. I really don't like him as a driver...but you have to hat-tip greatness. Even the turtle has to acknowledge that Favre is a 'great one'...so, I acquiesce and say congrats rainbow warrior....hope you have fun celebrating at the Blue Oyster...you deserve it.

IV. Basketball. I've just now started paying attention...and am I the only one who thinks that the Spurs-Suns match-up is the only interesting thing there?

V. Hockey....who cares? I don't.....

7. Shamrock, Spydrz, Jmblya, and I are all heading to Atlantic City for a Tony Bennett concert. Get your tux ready boys...it's time for a Rat Pack Resurrection......

8. Music....there is an entire post here...but for now, I'll just say I'm listening to a lot of Country...and a lot of Bossa Nova. Good summer stuff. Also, I've learned some new things...like...the Cure doesn't entirely suck....I heard Pictures of You for the first time the other day and really dig it....also, I discovered Rocco Deluca and The Burden....here is a video for their song Colorful....enjoy....









8 comments:

spydrz said...

AC baby, AC!!

testudineous said...

Not to take attention away from your hot!hot!hot! Braves, but I hope that folks noticed my Twins were given a national television audience last night (ESPN Sunday Night Baseball---on Mother's Day), and we destroyed the Tigers. 16 runs. 22 hits. Torii Hunter with 2 HRs and a career-high 7 RBI! Yes, I would have liked to have broken up such torrid offense across three games and taken a series sweep, but...I'll take what I can get.

Also, herodotus, I hope the latest MPR treatment of my home state's 2008 Senate race reassures you somewhat...or at least assuages your fears better than I currently am able:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/05/14/coleman/

testudineous said...

Oh yeah, and Sidney Ponson is at last on his way out of town. And not a moment too soon.

spydrz said...

I think you jinxed Smoltz by talking about the Braves...!!

herodotus said...

testud- absolutely...congrats. the twins have had problems...and i can't believe i'm going to flesh these words out in writing...especially, with pendleton still on our payroll...but...i hope they turn it around and also...absolutely, i saw that article...but did you notice how they turned a 22 point lead into something to 'worry' about? amazing...


spydrz- smoltzy is o.k....according to reports..but what a scare...

Anonymous said...

it's about fekkin' time you came back, Hero. Hopefully, you get to return home like E.T. did.

TB live in AC? Damn, you guys are old.

Yeah, broads are something else...damn, I wish we had a red light district up here.

spydrz said...

MMB!

simply reg said...

MMB!