Wednesday, June 20, 2007

File under: Musician with nothing else to post on...

Well, this past week, Turtle asked me what my “birth song” was. Rather than the shriek of agony my mother undoubtedly released during my actual birth, he was asking me what song was atop the “Top 40” charts the week I was born. Being the music aficionado I often claim to be, I was both ashamed for not knowing and intrigued to find out…I’m not quite sure what this says about me, but the number one song in the land the week I was born was “Another One Bites the Dust”, of course, by Queen…I’m not sure how I feel about that. This song is among maybe a handful of Queen songs that I’ll always enjoy, but I’m not sure how comfortable I am with being born under a song sang by a man who makes the guy who sang duet on Mariah Carey’s unplugged cut of “I’ll be There” look like Tom Jones...Nothing personal to the nancies…Just not the best representation of me, perhaps.

Onward, now that I’ve no doubt enraged no one that reads this blog…

I also thought it time to do a “Seven songs that I’m absolutely lovin’ right now”…

“Sleeping Lessons”The Shins. For starters, I’m a sucker for the oft referred to as the “boom-chuck” of a blue grass inspired signature present in this, as well as many others, Shins song. I’m also a sucker for proper dynamics, even when as easily foreseen as in this song. So when the song builds into the guitars all chiming in, I’m done.

“My Eyes”Travis. Off their new album which is great. This song is the kind of song that you listen to at 8:30 a.m. only to realize at 3:54 p.m. that you’ve been humming it all day long.

“That’s How Strong My Love Is”Otis Redding. Very rarely have or will I do a “songs that I’m currently lovin” list without an Otis Redding tune on it. I’ve written extensively, well for a blog, about what exactly makes Mr. Redding the greatest soul singer of all-time, and if I haven’t made you a fan yet, you may be lost. Still if you are and somehow haven’t heard this song…Do yourself a favor, quit your job right now so you can go home and listen to it right now. It’s like a love potion…You hear it and the first woman to catch your eye has you nailed.

“Losin’ You”The Marshall Tucker Band. This song traverses the following path ever so sweetly: just another sad country ballad, oh wait those steel guitars sound sweet, “ain’t no denyin’, you been lyin’”- wait am I actually singing along, man she really broke my heart, oh sweet! Steel guitar solo….BAM!!!! Jazz break right smack in the middle of one of the best she-broke-my-heart southern ballads ever made, is that an electric piano?...an alto sax?...I love this song!....O.k. maybe just for me, but if the previous even remotely intrigues you, check it out.

“Distant Lover”Marvin Gaye. All I have to say is the part where he breaks down and starts with the whole “Somethin I wanna say, when you left you took all of me with you”…and then gets to “Do you wanna hear me cry…PLEASE!..PLEASE!”…That’s just magic…Here again, if you think I’m just sappy, check it out…

“Never Be the Same”Christopher Cross. I’m not even going to explain this cause I’m just going to get worn out anyway…You know deep down you love it too!

“Girl from the North Country”Bob Dylan. (from “Freewheelin”)… “I wonder if she remembers me at all, many times I’ve often prayed”…Haven’t we all, Bob. Haven’t we all…


cheers
Zeius

1 comment:

spydrz said...

Mr. Kenny Rogers' "Lucille" was the #1 country song the week of my birth.