Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Once more into the breach dear friends...

So, my life has dramatically changed over these last few weeks. I've moved states and cities, I've changed jobs and schedules, and am just now getting acquainted with my new life. Here are a few things that have been on my mind lately(there is so much to say, but this will be a truncated exposition, I fear).

I. Housekeeping. For those who might be wondering...in all, I'm very happy with my decision to move. Though there is an adjustment time required, the whole thing has been positive, thus far. Naturally, there are those whose company I miss, but I've gained the daily company of others that is equally needed, or more so. To all of you who I've not contacted yet...it is not reflective of my thoughts or feelings for you...just a time of settling...and you'll here from me soon enough...whether you want to or not.

II. Immigration. I want to make this perfectly clear...and I think I speak for most who were/are opposed to Agri-business/democrat plans of amnesty for Mexican illegal immigrants...just because I might stridently oppose your agenda, I am not necessarily racist. As one who has studied ardently various periods of history, nation building, and migration movements of people...I can say definitively that a nation that cannot/will not enforce stated boundaries is doomed to implosion. Go ask the Cossacks, Vandals, or the Carpathians if unfettered immigration works. Also, my insistence on English as a common language does not make me xenophobic....it makes me human. There isn't a nation in this world that doesn't cling to a self-identity through language and culture. Go to China....go anywhere in Asia...go to Sub-Saharan Africa....hell, go to freakin Mexico...they all self-define through the lens of culture and language. The difference is that in the United States...our requisites for cultural acceptance and mobility are ridiculously lax when compared to most other nations. Finally....and I really want to emphasize this....I am completely and wholeheartedly in support of legal immigration. Having lived abroad for extensive periods, I know all too well the feeling of being the outsider and trying to live life in success. A vibrant and colorful immigrant community is wanted and needed in this country. It is a source of strength. Illegal immigration, though, is anathema to civility, order, and commonality of vision and motive.....all of which are necessary for a successful nation...and anything less is unacceptable.

III. Euphonic Bliss. I saw the ASO perform Orff's Carmina Burana the other night...and wow. Simply put, one of the most amazing pieces of music I've ever had the pleasure of seeing performed. If you ever get the chance...

IV. Hamas vs. Fatah. Why is it that the media insists on calling Iraq a 'civil war' but refuses to utter those words with regards to Palestine? On the one hand, you have foreign fighters from all over the region spilling into Iraq...attacking Iraqi civilians to foment terror and fear...and on the other hand you have Palestinians fighting.....other Palestinians. I'm sure the media have a good explanation though.....but what could it be....?

V. Sarkozy. Something tells me that this guy is going to be fun to watch.

VI. I wish there were more time, but finally... I leave you with one of my favorite videos I've seen in a while....hyperbole, thy name is Dennis Miller.

1 comment:

spydrz said...

I kid you not, there was a Mexican with five of his buddies at the DMV today...and he was wearing a t-shirt that stated "HECHO EN MEXICO."

I mean, really? Did we not already know that?