Friday, March 28, 2008

Top 5 Favorite Slow Jams

I’m calling a pause on my overrated/underrated/aptly rated post as it is, and has been pointed out, really three posts in one. All three categories deserve more attention and should be covered in later posts. My apologies, in hindsight it was foolish of me to think anyone else would care to or would have the time to tackle all three in one post.
That said, I offer another “music list” post:

Top 5 favorite slow jams from 1985-1995.

I meant to do this list a couple of weeks ago but was sidetracked by other thoughts.

My reasons for choosing 1985-1995 are:

1. Most everyone I know would agree this was the best period for the “slow jam”.
2. The 15-20 songs I thought of and chose my 5 from were all released in this time period.

Further, I’ve wanted to post this because I’m a complete sucker for slow jams…One of the first cassette tapes I ever owned was “Johnny Gill” by Johnny Gill…I still don’t remember how I got it…I was a little kid so I didn’t have money…Anyway, this has been part of my musical appetite for a while. So if right now you’re wondering what a “slow jam” is, this isn’t for you, but if you’re like me…let the apostrophes and slang prepositions start flyin'!

My top five all time slow jams in ascending order:

5. “Rock Witcha” by Bobby Brown – Before Whitney, the rise of Hip-Hop, and an obvious drug problem Bobby Brown released one of the best R&B albums ever made called “Don’t be Cruel”. The two standout slow jams from the album were this selection and a song called “Roni”…I really had a hard time choosing between the two.

4. “Your Body’s Callin’” by R. Kelly – Before trials, reinvention, and urinating on minors R. Kelley released another one of the best albums (12 play) for slow jams the best of which, in my opinion, is inarguably “Your Body’s Callin’”.

3. “My, My, My” by Johnny Gill – Off the aforementioned “Johnny Gill” by Johnny Gill album, this was one of his biggest hits. Not to encourage immoral behavior, but if you find yourself with a lady and in need of a song to get things moving, this song will not fail you. She may laugh at the obvious 90’s R&B vibe to start with, but she’ll stop when she finds herself doing exactly as Johnny commands when the first verse starts…If you can’t tell, Johnny Gill is one of my favorite 90’s R&B men.

2. “Night and Day” by Al B. Sure” – 1988 may be the banner year for R&B. It not only gave us Bobby Brown’s “Don’t be Cruel” but also yielded Al B. Sure’s “In Effect Mode”…Anyway, “Night and Day” is one of those songs that I never turn off…Doesn’t matter where I am, who I’m with, or what kind of mood I’m in…it’s probably one of my favorite 100 songs of all time and maybe would crack the top 60. This was a close second to…

1. “Feenin’” by Jodeci – If I had to pick a favorite R&B act, I love Johnny Gill and Al B. Sure, but Jodeci takes it hands down. As I’ve said before, I could do a top-5 favorite Jodeci songs so it was especially hard to choose which song by them would fall here. “Forever My Lady”, “Come and Talk to Me”…both great songs, but “Feenin’” off of 1993’s “Diary of a Mad Band” is easily my favorite of all the slow jams.

Honorable mentions: “Knockin’ Da Boots” by H-town and “Lady Du Jour” by Johnny Gill.

That’s it…My favorites.

What are yours?

Zeius

3 comments:

herodotus said...

dr. z- a valiant effort...but there is no way for me to pick 5 favorites from this time/genre...it is just not possible...in fact, i would have an easier time solving a rubik's cube. in addition...every single one of your songs(including honorable mentions) could be in my 'top 5'...so, i am only going to offer another list...not necessarily a better list(note: i've avoided artists already mentioned...even if they have other great songs)...

5. "can you stand the rain"-new edition. i believe this to be the zenith for the band...reached right before their end. for me, this represents the less...debauched...side of the 'slow jam'....though, one has to wonder if this wasn't some sort of prophetic work...what with adam 'pacman' jones and everything...

4. "loose control"-silk. now, most probably think of 'freak me' as being 'the' silk song...and it is good...but this, i think, is superior. besides...if one was trying to set a mood in the early 90's...not all girls would go straight to 'freak me'...you had to 'loose control' first... and...it asks "can i turn you on...to the break of dawn...." and then gives a vocal homage to the great "my my my" of one johnny gill.

3. breakin my heart(pretty brown eyes)- mint condition. i have never...ever heard this song and not turned it up. vocals...harmony...a horn interlude...just try not to sing along at the end...i dare you...in fact...were it not for the next song on the list, it would be the most under-appreciated song of this genre. which leads me to...

2. ready or not- after 7. this is one of the best r&b groups...that no one has ever heard of. this song, specifically, evokes all kinds of memories. trust me...when i say that this song is the sheisse...and no... that's not babyface...it's babyface's two brothers.

and finally...what i consider to be the penultimate SLOW JAM 1985-1995....

1. SHAKE YOU DOWN- GREGORY ABBOTT. this song always gets left out of 80's conversations...except for maybe the 'one-hit wonder' variety...but not only is this one of the best slow jams of the period, it is easily one of the best, and most recognizable songs from that era. in fact, if anyone knows anything about 80's jams...all you have to do is sing ..."well, oh, well"...and they will know exactly what you mean...and will start doing their best abbott imitation...he even says," eeenie, meenie, miney, moe..." and is still cool...i can't do that...can you?


* special mention to: babyface-whip appeal, shai-if ever i fall in love, jodeci-forever my lady, sade-love is stronger than pride.

Anonymous said...

holy d'brickashanx! herodotus busted out Gregory Abbott!

sade's "no ordinary love" gets my vote.

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHH!

"Ready or Not" - after 7...I completely forgot this song...I don't know that I would've put it on my list, but I completely forgotten about that song...what a great song..."I'll give u everything little thang (every little thang)...all that I got"

I feel like Jack Black in High Fidelity

"that should've been mine!"