Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy Independence Day, America...and a minor tribute to LT black rabbit...


This is an early post, as I will be incognito for the holiday weekend. Still, I wanted to say something to register, respect, and recognize this most important and significant of American traditions. Ours is a unique experiment in self-governing. The mere idea of a "republic" was revolutionary and transformative in 1775...and has been an example of an ideal to attain for cultures and peoples hence. To maintain this, we rely on folks that volunteer their time, experience, and lives to make sure that what was established so many decades ago... remains...and will remain...intact. To those brave souls... I say...and I speak for a majority in this great country...simply, thank you. Those of us who choose not to serve will never know the sacrifices you and your families make...but we offer...two simple words...packed with heartfelt knowledge...thank you.
One such person is one of my best friends...in fact, I've known this guy longer than any other close friend that I have...he is the famed black rabbit. He is currently serving "in-theatre" , and is eagerly expected home by his wife and family within a few months. Simply put, he is one of the most courageous, genuine, and loyal persons I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. The thing is...we have thousands of others ...whom I've never met... that serve with him and are probably those things...and more...to others. So...to LT black rabbit...and those who are with him...I say...be well, be safe, and know that we aware.
Having lived in foreign lands for extended periods of time, I say this with an untempered resolve...this country is amazing...and I'll be damned if I let others who are either ignorant of history... or malicious in personal contempt...cloud our founding ideals...in the hope of some sort of trans-national and ideological utopia...that has been tried...and never realized or actualized. We, as Americans, have had, do have, and will have, deficiencies and inequalities to overcome...but this is the greatest nation...and political experiment...to ever exist in human history...more so than Babylon...more so than Athens...more so than Rome. It is worth preserving...it is worth respect...it is worth admiration. Let freedom ring true and loud. God bless the United States of America.

No comments: