Thursday, March 1, 2007

2008 GOP Nominee Thoughts and Rankings








1. Sen. Sam Brownback – I have posted many times on my hoping to see Brownback ascend to the “Big Table” of 2008 hopefuls, and while I still hold out hope, the likelihood of earlier primaries does not bode well for this desire of mine. The conventional wisdom is that the Brownback-Hunter-Tancredo ranks will thin out as quickly as do their coffers, a process that should be expedited by the prospect of earlier primaries. My hopes of a Brownback insurgency also took a blow with the official entrance of “The Mayor”. Up until Giuliani jumped in, I could at least hope for the general disdain for McCain, the inevitability of his alienating himself further from the base with every campaign stop he makes, and Romney’s shady history and un-welcomed faith to all push the GOP machine to search the lower tier candidates for a solution much like the Democrats did with Clinton in ’92. However, “America’s Mayor” is in and looking like he may trounce everyone. Which leads me to…




2. Rudy Giuliani – I have resigned myself to the fact that if Rudy’s political persona is not genuine, as those who criticize his personal shortcomings would say, I am sold on it almost irreversibly at this point. Still, I can think of at least three guys technically running right now that I would prefer over him. I love his charisma, and I think his capacity to govern effectively is among the best in the field. So, what’s the hang-up?...Of course it’s the social issues! Rudy supporters counter this question by stating his philosophy on the judiciary with the fact that he vehemently claims that his personal views on abortion, gay rights, etc… do not set him at odds with the party’s base as his philosophy of government alone counters the liberal social agenda. Now, I do not think he’s lying. Actually, something about this guy just screams to me that he should be believed (see the part about me being sold), but I cannot overlook that this is the same position staked out by Ford, Reagan, and Bush the 1st. This is the mentality that gave us jurists like John Paul Stevens, Sandra Day O’Connor, and David Souter. So, please forgive my lack of faith in the “I don’t have a problem with these things, but don’t let that concern you, I’ll appoint proper jurists” argument. Yes, we need to restore the judiciary to its proper role in society, but we also need to stop killing babies and ignoring the social implications in the destruction of marriage as a social institution. With all this, I am left with a guy that I really like and that will most likely be my party’s nominee. So, in the scenario of an imminent primary with the “Brownback’s” having already bowed out, I have to ponder the reality of choosing between Rudy, McCain, and Romney…I say “GOOOO Yankees!!!”…Unless, of course…




3. Newt Gingrich – Newt is close to replacing Bill Bennett as my favorite interview to watch, and oh how I would love a Gingrich candidacy and for so many reasons. With McCain and Romney stumbling, there could possibly be enough room at the table for a fourth player, and I believe Gingrich could secure that seat. I’ll say this, if Brownback is gone come primary season and Newt has, in the meantime, actually entered the race and secured enough of a position to still be around, he then becomes my Rudy-alternative.

So, here’s my 2008 nominee rankings/wishlist:

1. Brownback
2. Gingrich
3. Hunter
4. Huckabee
5. Giuliani
6. Tancredo
7. Romney…
34,498. McCain


What’re yours?


cheers
Zeius

1 comment:

herodotus said...

brief thoughts:

1. generally, it is too early for me to have concrete ideas...this far from the primary season....aligning me with gingrich's position about early campaigning. yet...

2. i respect brownback...but i don't respect his candidacy. simply, he has no chance. in fact, he couldn't carry virginia in a general election...much less ohio, penn., or iowa. do us all a favor and stay in the senate...keep those fools in line.

3. as for the giuliani/ford/reagan/bush comparison....it is true that we got stevens, o'conner(not that bad, historically), and souter....but we also got rehnquist, scalia, and thomas. i'll take my chances with those odds...compared to what we know we would get from the liberals...more ruth bader ginsbergs. as for rudy g. himself...i'm still skeptical...but it is friggin 3/07....and the jury is still out(pun included for free).

4. gingrich. i hope he runs for three reasons:
a. he makes the race more conservative...not necessarily regarding social issues...but from a truly conservative place...that of less government. with rg and jonny mac loving government as an answer to problems...as one who strongly dislikes and distrusts government's ability to do anything efficiently...i need him out there.

b. he's smarter than all of the others...and scares the heck out of them in a debate.

c. he'll say something ridiculously stupid and outrageous...and we'll get to watch.

5. jonny mac. war hero. truly gets that radical islam is as dangerous as any threat freedom has faced in history. very competent. liberal lite. again, when i say this, i don't necessarily mean on social issues. my problem is that whatever social problems he sees as needing fixing...he thinks that the federal government should be the cultural/economic maytag man..i.e. mccain-feingold.

6. the others. at this point i couldn't care less. huckabee is a hack, tancredo can't win re-election in colorado, and romney.....again, who knows? hunter intrigues me...in that he really really doesn't care what anybody thinks of him...which is refreshing...but so was alan keyes in 2000...and look what happened to him.

7. the list: i can't....yet. but, if anyone runs into fred thompson...please tell him that i really would like to talk to him.