Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Thoughts and conjecture....



























1. Champions League. My adopted team, Liverpool, beat the disdained Arsenal today...in the final leg of the round of 16...and will face the hated Chelsea on April 22 in the semis. This was somewhat of a surprise, but not a shock, as the reds have played well of late...and Arsenal hasn't. Still, a very good win...and we play another day. Please....for all that is right in the universe....please...please beat Chelsea.

2. China, the Olympics, and the world. There are going to be many....many people offering opinion...some more informed than others...about the upcoming Olympic Games. If I may say, as one who has spent significant time there, we..."the world"...have no idea what this means to China's idea of pride and "gaining face". Make no mistake...China...and her people...believe that this is their century... and that this is the beginning. Anything, or any nation, that acts in a manner that is seen as an affront to Chinese prestige will be the recipient of residual action. With this in mind, the "free world" has a chance to make a statement....but do we have the courage, will, and strength of character to do so? This is the question.

3. The Stranger. Now....Micah thinks this a reference to something else...but, alas, I'm speaking of Camus' work. After a conversation with the Black Rabbit the other day, I revisited this page-turner...before schedule(note: 2008 reading list on homepage)...and thoroughly enjoyed it. Let me say...while I completely disagree with the academic interpretation and extension often prescribed, I love the witty, frank, and obvious way it is written. If you are looking to read a very good...and brief...fiction, choose this little gem.

4. Iran and centrifuges. So...Iran is, by most reports, only a few months away from developing nuclear capability. Hmmm....am I the only one that finds this alarming? I mean in an eschatological sense? Seriously...it's not like the President of Iran has threatened the destruction of America, Israel, or any other free country....oh...I forgot this. And yeah....Obama wants to "talk" to these folks about regional stability.


5. Music to my ears. Most know the name Edith Piaf...and those who might not ...should. This lady dominated....and I mean dominated... the European music scene in the early 20th century...and then became famous in the U.S. in the 1980's when Hollywood directors realised that she is a great addition to any soundtrack. With the recent Academy award winning film about her life...she is now certainly "available". Folks...she deserves the acclaim, honour, and prestige. I heard her again last night...and wow.


6. Freaking... American Idol. I am going to get so much grief about this.....but yes...I have been watching this season's show(thank you J and E). And...I have to say...it's pretty effing good. Right now my favorite is the dude from Australia....but there are a couple of others that aren't bad. I hate that I just wrote that....


7. Finally...Faith, Friends, and Family. I say far too few words here about how blessed I am...with the friends that I've met along the way...with the brothers that I've been given...and with the unfailing love of my saviour. So...let me say...thank you to my friends...for continuing to choose me as a friend, Thank you to my brothers for loving me...honestly...and permanently. Most of all...thank you Jesus...for the ultimate sacrifice. I fail you often...but my heart...

1 comment:

Micah said...

Heh heh. I actually read The Stranger in high school. I was going through a HUGE Cure phase and knew that their song "Killing an Arab" was based on the book, so I figured, why not go to the source? Now I remember next to nothing about it, but I think I liked it at the time. But it didn't stop me from moving on to Dave Barry books and such. And don't knock "The Stranger." It is an effective tool for the lonely.

And there's an Australian competing on "American Idol"? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Call me when they do Yahoo Serious night.