Monday, May 5, 2008

Good Times, more good times, and really good times.







1. Good Times. I'm talking about that iconic t.v. show from the 70's. One of my favorite shows in syndication, it had been a while since I'd seen it...but man...so freaking good. O.k....so I was watching an episode the other night...the one about Michael being bused to a "white" school...and lo and behold...within 5 minutes Jesus, corporal punishment, and the need for a good education were all referenced...and in a positive light. Now, juxtapose that with some of the more popular themes emanating from...say BET/106 and Park/ and The Wire (for example)... materialism, sexualism, and "keepin it real"...what has happened? What went wrong? I ask...not rhetorically, but genuinely. Now...compare The Waltons with MTV...and you get the same thing....maybe, more so. So, I ask again...Are we that far gone? My guess is that James and Florida Evans wouldn't look at our culture and call it progress.

2. More good times. As most know here, while in Grad school, one can't read(for pleasure) or play sports(or do much of anything... save binge drinking) as much as one would like to. This said, having left school, and now that I am gainfully employed, my appetite for such things has returned. My point is this...recently, I've read, and played more golf, than I have in years. And you know what...I am better for it. Specifically, I played golf with a good friend the other day (who is finishing law school...congrats m3), and it was a very much needed catharsis, of sorts. So...go out...rediscover, and take the time to enjoy, the things that enrich your life. We only get one chance. Which leads me to...

3. Really good times. This week...a few very good friends...testudineous, vox meridies, and that 70's guy...will all descend on my fair city to see one of the greatest bands ever...Radiohead. My expectation is that we will recall, share, and make new memories. And just for the record...I hope they play at least 3 songs from The Bendz...the greatest album of the 90's.

2 comments:

Micah said...

"My name is Florida. Florida! That's the name of a state. Why is my name Florida?"

Seriously, though, I see the promos for that new Flavor Flav sitcom and wonder why the black community doesn't label it a modern day minstrel show...BOYYYYYYYYY.

Not a fan of Radiohead, but I finally saw There Will Be Blood over the weekend (GREAT film) and really dug Jonny Greenwood's score. It's the second best thing Radiohead's ever done (the first being that episode of "South Park").

Anonymous said...

Flavor Flav's new sitcom, to quote Craig Mack, "won't be around next year." That's why no one is sweating it (plus it's on a shit network.) I caught an episode whilst flipping channels and cleaning the house yesterday; it's pretty terrible, so I'm sure very few people are watching it either.

The network will pull the plug when they see that the hastily-slapped-together-Flavor-Flav vehicle failed to capitalize on his earlier reality show success.