Monday, May 5, 2008

I highly recommend...


“Quiet is the new Loud” by Kings of Convenience – Picture a Norwegian Simon and Garfunkel only heavily influenced by Stan Getz. I wouldn’t compare these guys to Simon and Garfunkel because I wouldn’t compare most people to Simon and Garfunkel, but that description best paints the picture. The title “Quiet is the new Loud” is spot on as there is not a loud moment on this album. If you need adrenaline and something to pump you up, this is not your group, but if you like simple production that’s mellow and emotive…Buy this album. Also recommended by KOC, “Riot on an Empty Street”.







“Those the Brokes” by The Magic Numbers – Their first album was good. This one is great. Two sets of siblings. They’ve got a very unique way of blending their influences and are one of the truly unique bands out there. I love, love, love this album. It has moments both poppy and soulful and neither seems forced or out of place.






BUY THIS ALBUM!!!! (edit)

“Trials of Van Occupanther” by Midlake - Go buy this album. They sound like a modern band sounding like a 70’s band that doesn’t try to sound like a 70’s band. I can’t analyze too much of it because I haven’t had it for long…All I know is that this is one of my new favorite bands.






















“Rabbit Fur Coat” by Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins – I caught Ms. Lewis’ primary group, Rilo Kiley, at a Coldplay show which they opened. I was impressed so I bought their album current to the time named “More Adventurous”. It was good. There are about four or five songs on there that I really like; whereas, the rest seemed like a misfire of an attempt at imbedding humanistic doctrine in not-so-catchy pop songs. However, I was very excited when I heard that Ms. Lewis had released a side-project bent more toward her “down home” side that subtly undertones Rilo Kiley’s stuff…Still though, as excited as I was, I was very wary of pumping the whole “I’ll question God loud enough so I don’t have to hear His answers” schtick into my ears that I was sure would be on anything she did so it took me almost two years to get myself to buy it…I am surprised. What I found is a brutally honest work by a woman who seems more desirous to reflect her life in song rather than just poke fun at all the “dumb Christians” out there, and I can certainly appreciate that. I could be wrong, but so far that’s my take, and I’m loving this album. It’s truly a post-modern folk masterpiece.












5 comments:

Micah said...

I bought that Kings of Convenience album when it came out and it's still a go-to when I need something mellow. The only other album of theirs I have is the remix one (which is not as dancey as that label would lead you to believe).

As for Jenny Lewis, her album was my favorite of 2006. I don't think there is a bad song on it.

Anonymous said...

I know it is taboo to comment on one's own post, but to anyone with any musical sense about them that may read this...

GO BUY MIDLAKE'S "THE TRIALS OF VAN OCCUPANTHER"!!!!!!!!!

It's different, but it is, in my opinion, a freakin masterpiece....

Micah - If you dig "Quiet is the new loud" I would definitely recommend "Riot on an empty street"...I actually bought it first and then went back and bought "Quiet..."...I like "Quiet..." more, but only by very slim margin

Also, yeah...I think I'm in love with Jenny Lewis which my girlfriend thinks is stupid.

and if you've never listened to The Magic Numbers, do yourself a favor and pick up "Those the Brokes"...there's no way you won't like it.

Micah said...

I downloaded that Magic Numbers album last night and plan on giving it a listen to it this afternoon.

And Jenny Lewis is a babe (attractive + musician + has a mouth like a PG-13 sailor = a winning combo)

Micah said...

Okay, I listened to that Magic Numbers album. At first I thought it was just okay, but a few tracks in it started to click for me. I'll need to give it several more spins before I can make a final judgment.

And I got a Cat Stevens vibe from the male lead singer. But that's cool. I like the Tillerman.

Anonymous said...

hahaha, this is like a post from the wayback machine. you're right about the Midlake album; I dug it so much that I named my kingsnake "Roscoe."

let me recommend some more recent albums that rock; City & Colour's "Bring Me Your Love", Bon Iver's "For Emma Forever Ago", and (as Micah already knows) Neon Neon's "Stainless Style."

SBN1 out!