Wednesday, April 25, 2007

And with the second pick the Atlanta Falcons take...Calvin Johnson from Georgia Tech University!!!

O.k., so maybe I’m dreaming, but oh how freakin’ sweet it would be to hear Roger Goodell utter those words (while wearing a Pacman Jones jersey) on draft-day.

Anyway, I’m particularly excited about this year’s draft as my beloved Dirty Birds’ best case first pick is to trade up and take the best receiving prospect to come along probably since Michael Irvin (I say Irvin only because their skill sets are comparable as they’re two of the few to have both the incredible size and speed that they do) in Calvin Johnson, and their worst case first pick scenario is to take a safety whose college career I’ve followed closely out of both a love for his ability as well for fear of it being put on display in my backyard in Laron Landry. Simply, we desperately need help at both receiver and in the secondary and we’re going to get a surefire plug for one of those spots.

Personally, I’d call Cleveland up and say “Look, Vick, Brooking, and Jerious Norwood are off limits…Other than that you tell me what you want for that pick”…I’d make the deal and draft Johnson.

Moving along, though, I do love the draft for the maneuvering and dealing and such which is the purpose for this post. I came across this article on the best composite first round in NFL history. I figured our shared love for football and lists would spark some conversation.

Click here:


http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-bestfirstroundpicks042307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns


cheers
Zeius

3 comments:

testudineous said...

You must have been especially pleased by picks 5-7.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, especially 6 and 7. A lot of people overlook the amount of defensive talent my Dawgs have put in the NFL over the last decade or so.

As for Deion at 5...What can I say? My first memories of watching Falcons' games were watching and hoping to see if Prime-time would take a punt or kick-off to the house, probably cause that was the only bright spot of that era..Let's see, we cut Brette Farve and sign Bobby Hebert as a backup...Stupid smiths.


I was very suprised to Andre Rison make this list.

Anonymous said...

speaking of atlanta,. i thought you would be happy to hear, as am i, that smoltz was signed to an extension for two more years. now, if atlanta can just come up with 20 million a year for 6 years for andrew jones we'll be set.