Monday, April 9, 2007

No one asked, but I'm giving my magic seven anyway.

Herodotus informed me that I am not eligible for “tagging” as we occupy the same blog. He did however encourage me to post my current “seven songs” so here goes.


1. Otis Redding: “Good To Me” – Simply put, this song has replaced “Dreams to Remember” as my favorite track by Mr. Redding who is one of my favorite artists. My instinct says to describe the wonder of this song, but my good sense tells me that words cannot possibly suffice.

2. Stars: “Your Ex-lover Is Dead” – Off the album entitled “Set Yourself On Fire”, this track is one of the best indie-pop songs I’ve heard in a good while. This song is very melodic and describes a scenario in which one encounters an ex-lover only to realize that the part of them that was so enamored with the ex-lover is dead and gone…A scenario that speaks to me and probably most everyone else.

3. Gypsy Kings: “Love And Liberte” – I live in the deep south where, minus the last few days, spring has sprung which means that Gypsy Kings will find my player frequently. This song, however, is one that I have missed until recently, and I can’t get enough of it…It’s just sheer beauty in music form.

4. Ryan Adams: “Come Pick Me Up” – This is the best “I wish you loved me just half as much as I love you” song I have heard in a long, long time. I simply love, love, love this song.

5. Dinah Washington: “To Forget About You” – In purely emotive terms, Ms. Washington had a voice rivaled, in my opinion, only by previously mentioned Otis Redding. Well, through the beneficence of one Herodotus, I have come into possession (temporarily) of a rare-and-incredible cd by her that contains this song which I have only recently discovered. If you’ve ever found yourself with a desire to stop loving someone that is surpassed only by the weight of the reality that you cannot, this song is for you…Thanks Herodotus, and I’ll return it promptly.

6. David Gray: “Gutters Full Of Rain” – David Gray is, in my opinion, the best lyricist of our generation, and I know very few people that have actually absorbed his body of work in its entirety that take issue with such a statement. Still, because of the commercial success of “Babylon” as a poor representation of his overall feel as a musician, he is often quickly disregarded by many as a sort of second-tier artist. I’ll say this, I absolutely ADORE this man’s work, and have been profoundly influenced by it in my own artistic endeavors (as insignificant as they may be). This song is off of one of his earlier albums (“Sell, Sell, Sell”) that I had not listened to in far too long. Just the other day my itunes used it to remind of how foolish I am for allowing this to be the case.

7. Van Morrison: “I’ll Be You Lover": - I’ve always loved Van Morrison but had somehow missed this one. Well, a few years back now, an old girlfriend sent me a mix-cd with this song on it, and ever since it has occupied a solid third spot in my “top-three favorite Van Morrison” songs list. Just a classic, classic track that will make anyone with any measure of a romantic sensibility ache on the inside.




cheers
Zeius

5 comments:

testudineous said...

Zeius,
I was just mentioning "Come Pick Me Up" to herodotus the other day. I don't believe he's ever heard the song before, but it was brought to mind when, reciprocal to his discovering a John Mayer album he certainly hadn't bought, someone did, in fact, "steal all [his] records." I also appreciate the bitterness of the song. Yes, he still loves the object of the song, but perversely by this point. He hates her far more than he loves her---perhaps the flip-side of the same emotion. Anyways, I don't know all of these Magnificent Seven, so I'll be discovering them very soon. Thanks for the tip!

herodotus said...

dr.z and testud:

1. the gypsy kings. also...a song that's due summer reflection. in fact...musical due...and a great song. truly a band for all summers...and music lovers. while not my favorite song...this is a band that can't go wrong...

2. thank you for the hat tip...as, dw is one of the best of all-time...and so few know it...

3. van morrison. incredibly psychic...as, one of my girl friends made me a cd and included this song...i'd never heard it...but it is now one of my favorites. it rivals, for me, 'into the mystic'...which has always been tops for me...

4. i've still never heard that ryan adams song...

Lindsay said...

"Come Pick Me Up" should be listened to with the windows down...along with that song about Carolina.
Ahhh, Ryan Adams, he definitely fits in my seven.

Anonymous said...

I agree Lindsay-with-an-a!!!!....In fact, I wrestled with which track off of “Heartbreaker” to include on this list. “Sweet Carolina”, “Winding Wheel”, “Call me On Your Way Back Home”, and “When You’re Young, You Get Sad” are all top notch songs. When it came down to it though, “Come Pick Me Up” just says it like few other songs.


Testy –

Yes it is a perverse love in the sense that he realizes full well that this woman is no good but it also resigned to the fact he’s willing to endure her lack of character in order to scratch the itch…Embodied in the line “I wish you’d make up my bed, so I could make up my mind, try it for sleepin’ instead, maybe you’ll rest sometime, but I wish I could”….I guess what I love about this s the effectiveness in its expression of the utterly distraught, ultimately unrequited lover and the bitterness thereof.


Everyone –

In fact, I would heartily recommend Ryan Adams’ “Heartbreaker”. It’s a fantastic album, especially for the heart-broken.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Linds-


Thanks for finally posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 days till the beach!!!!!!