Wednesday, April 4, 2007

I've been tagged!

Micah from Micah World tagged me today. I had no idea what that meant...until this afternoon. Apparently, it's kind of like a chain mail type thing. Anyway, the topic is 7 Songs That I'm Digging Right Now. So, here you go...with a brief explanation for each:

1. Sam Cooke-Bring It On Home to Me. I really can't get enough of this particular song. I'm familiar with most of Cooke's stuff, but for some reason, this one had escaped me. No longer. If you like blues, soul, and desire...this one's for you. Hat tip: Testudineous.

2. Mika-Grace Kelly. I was just given this cd by Micah. Possibly, the official Song of the Summer. The jury is still out...but what isn't up for debate is that this is a great pop song. He's eerily similar to Freddie Mercury...but in a good way. I seriously can't get this song out of my head.

3. Frank Sinatra-You Make me Feel So Young. It is the live version from the Sinatra at the Sands. The entire album is fantastic, but this track really stands out. He was still involved with a much younger Mia Farrow, and undoubtedly had her in mind when singing it. It is playful and rambunctious...in all, just a great version of a great song.

4. Shelby Lynne-Dreamsome. This is a very mellow track that is perfect for summer. I just compiled a two disc cd compilation for springtime/summertime listening and this was the first track included on the chill cd. It is a perfect song for background ambiance or for end-of-day relaxation and reclination.

5. Hotel Lights-A.M. Slow Golden Hit. Another extremely mellow track, but with a bit more electronic experimentation. The juxtaposition of the bold electronics and his very understated voice is both soothing and intriguing. I can't recommend these guys enough. It is a must have.

6. The Beatles-Dear Prudence. I was late in reaching my Beatles phase...but, when I did, there was no going back. For those who really love music, and who are affected by certain songs, there are moments and times when one hears a song for the first time, and he/she remembers exactly where they were and what they were doing. This is one of those songs for me. I busted out The White Album the other day and was reminded of how much I love it.

7. Allison Krauss-Let Me Touch You For A While. I don't think I need to explain what this song is about. But I will say that this song is a perfect reason why this lady is a national treasure. If you aren't familiar with her...become so. If you haven't seen her live...do so. You won't be disappointed.

8. Finally, as is my supposed duty, I'm now tagging Spydrz. You're it, biatch. Also, the following is the video for Mika's Grace Kelly. Listen to it a couple of times, and try not to sing along...I dare you.


7 comments:

spydrz said...

Meh. I only listen to music in the eight minutes it takes me to get to work, and the eight minute drive home.

herodotus said...

spydrz-

a man without music...how very sad. actually, that sounds like a great and ironic title for an album...though, you probably wouldn't listen to it.

spydrz said...

Because it would probably suck.

simply reg said...

bwahahahaha! Nice one, Spydrz!

Hero, I can't believe you've succumbed to the Mika plague as well. This isht is wack. Plain and simple. If that song catches fire this summer I am packing my isht and moving to feckin' Iran because Americans will have lost their damn minds.

Cincinnatus said...

"Ill Be Staying Here With You" Bob Dylan

"Sunshine" Keane

"Can You Hear Me Knocking" the Stones

"Where I End and You Begin" Radiohead

"The 1812 Overture" Antal performance: P. I. Tchaikovsky

"Der Ring des Nibelungen" Ohne Wörter, Dieses ist ein Klassiker der westlichen Zivilisation... genießen!

herodotus said...

simply reg: dude...take it easy. this song is one that is fun...in a pop sense. like my esteemed co-blogger testudineous recently said( i'm paraphrasing), " i don't see myself getting together with some buddies and jammin out to it...but if there were a couple of girls...i could see a pillow fight breakin out...an i'm fine with that'.

simply reg said...

Hero, it's one thing to say, "oh, this song is catchy, cutesy, fun to screech along to, and it appeals to the 14 year-old girl in me." It's quite another to dub it "Single of the Summer" (or just a serious candidate.) The mere thought of this song being briefly ubiquitous -- as all SotS are destined to become-- has me throwing up in my mouth.

I pray that this song has the lifecycle of a mayfly (and that Freddy Mercury's ghost sodomizes Mika.)