Thursday, February 22, 2007

Artist of the Week....Mr. Elliott Smith


Thoughts:

1. Elliott Smith has been one of my favorite artists from the moment I heard him. I'm a sucker for melancholic melodies...and he delivers without ceasing. To this, he adds a really really light voice..think modern Chet Baker...with a poet's heart. In sum, a true gift.
2. I was introduced to Smith, while studying in England. A girl I had met, and spent time with, played him one night, and I was hooked. That song was Coming Up Roses... and to this day it is my favorite of his songs....probably due to sentimental value. His big rise to fame came on the heels of his contributions to the Good Will Hunting soundtrack(which is a good album), but it is Either/Or and other singular works that really show his abilities. This said, any song or album is worth the money and time spent.
3. Sadly, Smith committed suicide in 2003...at the age of 34. There was always a sense of pain, longing, and yearning in his music... but it is always shocking when that pain is revealed as an honest pain... the kind that leads a person to suicide. I am grateful for the music he gave, but miss the music that could've been... and will never be. The following is a video for Angeles..a song on Either/Or...I chose it for a number of reasons...not the least of which is that it is representative of most of his work. R.I.P.... E.S.








Due to multiple requests, here is the video for Coming Up Roses...enjoy.



No comments: