Thursday, February 15, 2007

In my ears, eyes, mind and soul....


























































Here are some things/people that have my attention this week:

1. Movies:
a. Intolerable Cruelty. The Coen Brothers do a romantic comedy....how can it fail to amuse? Simply, it doesn't. After watching O Brother, Where Art Thou?...the chance to see these guys team up with Clooney again was something not to be missed. In short....it's quirky, it has chemistry(Clooney and Zeta Jones), it has a good script, and a fantastic supporting cast. This is the kind of movie that guys can turn to when the ladies require something romantic...and the guy can't stomach another The Wedding Planner.
b. The Deer Hunter. Holy crap....what a movie. I bought it about four years ago, but never managed to watch it. So, looking for something in my possession that I hadn't seen recently, I came across it the other day and threw it in. This is an amazingly dark movie from the outset...which, I figured would be the case... as any movie from 1978 treating the Viet Nam War would be...but I was still surprised. We don't actually get to Viet Nam until about 1 hr. into the movie, with this time given to a wedding reception....effectively laying the groundwork for the rest of the film. I'm not going to give any spoilers, but will say this about it:
- the cast...DeNiro, C. Walken, Fredo from The Godfather, M. Streep, J. Savage...nothing else needs to be said.
- I now know how Walken became a star so early in his career.
- While taxing..and long...this is a very good movie.

2. Book: C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. This work is one that I found at a crucial point in my life, both academically and personally. As I am a person who professes the Christian faith, and who fails miserably at it, it is always good to be reminded that failure is part of the struggle and journey. For me, the part that always speaks loudly is the chapter about pride. As our irrepressible co-blogger, Dr. Zeius, has so graciously pointed out recently, I've an ego at times that requires restraint. This little work helps with this necessary action. Most would say that, theologically, one shouldn't look to this book for fundamental knowledge, but I couldn't care less. Simply, I get the sense that Lewis was a man who attempted to logically explain his belief in an absurd idea...and how he failed at its personal application. My kind of guy.....

3. Music:
a. Nancy Wilson But Beautiful...(not of Heart). This lovely lady had, and still has, one of the most innately beautiful voices I've ever heard. She doesn't get much attention...though, recently, as one of the few left over from the ballad era, she is being treated as a 'legend'...but deserves all the attention others receive. Her range is incredible, but the thing that moves me is her ability infuse a restrained emotion with that incredible vocal range. There is more to be said, but as she will most certainly be an AOTW, this can wait.
b. Bob Dylan Freewheelin Bob Dylan. Still listening to it, and quite frankly, I can't let go of it... until it lets go of me.

4. Finally...Anna Nicole Smith. Now, I am as tired and bored with this whole thing as the next guy....unless your that guy that has a subscription to various supermarket check-out mags(mm)...but I feel the need to say a couple of things:
a. This whole episode reminds one of the importance of true happiness. Meaning, as hackneyed as it may sound, the truth is that lasting happiness is found in those whom you love and who love you. Daily, we all invest ourselves in people, places , and things with the hope that we will find that elusive thing called peace...or, at least, contentment. Our investments will give returns...the question is, what will your return be?
b. While suffering through a mild bout with insomnia last night, I was watching one of those t.v. entertainment magazines. It was a sad display....
c. Specifically about ANS....there is a sense that she got what she wanted....to live and die like Marilyn Monroe...so, it is difficult for me to feel sorry, or anything, about her death...as I didn't really think or feel anything about her life. Yet, I am compelled....to the point of reflection. What does this say about me as a person, our culture and media... in general, or the world? Who knows....

* i've a very close friend who has had a big year.....finished his graduate program, proposed to his girlfriend, and recently found his biological father....congrats md...you deserve every bit of it.

** also, two people that mean the world to me recently announced that they are expecting. you'll make great parents, as you are great people. congrats jm/wm.

1 comment:

spydrz said...

Ah, Christopher Walken.

"I'm Captain of.. the Millenium.. Falcon. Chewie here.. tells me.. you're looking for passage.. to the.. alderaan system. Fast.. ship? You've never heard.. of the.. millenium falcon? It's the ship.. that made the kessel run.. in less than.. 12 parsecs. She's.. fast enough.. for you.. old man.."