Friday, February 9, 2007

The Land that Gave Me Birth

Greetings sons of Georgia...I thought I would spend a short time rousing Southern patriotism by drawing your attention to that sacred Southern soil from which we all sprang(sorry testudinous...perhaps you can be adopted).

...he to whom a fatherland has been handed down...such a man fights to the last drop of his blood to hand on the precious possession unimpaired to his posterity."
--Johann Gottlieb Fichte (1762–1814)
Address to the German Nation 1806
Fichte wrote this shortly after Prussia was defeated at Jena and was occupied by French troops.











The Shenandoah Valley Near my father's birthplace.



My mother's home near Galax VA. near where my grandmother and grandfather (Nana and Papa) were born




















Ahens, Alabama. My Grandmother's birthplace near Huntsville Alabama.






















The Berrien County Courthouse, Georgia. My grandfather was in Berrien County, as was his father, his father's father, his grandfather's father, and his greatgrandfather's father.












Berrien Co. GA Sharecroppers c.1920, as my grandfather, greatgrandfather, and great-greatgrandfathers were











By all means, share your thoughts and memories...we are who we are...I know now, Herodotus, what it means to own that... Be not ashamed!




2 comments:

spydrz said...

I tried to add a pic to this comment, but it won't seem to let me...but here's a pic of my great-grandfather, onetime sheriff of Raleigh County and Police Chief of Beckley, WV...Pic

testudineous said...

Inferus,

No need for my adoption papers. Though the South has become a sort of home away from home for me, I'm still proud to be a scion of the North (though what ancestors I had already here during the Civil War spoke only German). (In fact, Fichte in 1806 was speaking to my forebears, though they were Catholic and Süddeutsch---Austrians and Badenischers, mainly.) I can appreciate your admiration for your native soil, both the native soil and the admiration itself. I'll need to post pictures of the Minnesotan Boundary Waters at some future date in response.